Sunday, July 8, 2018

The Rare Book Week That Was

Melbourne Rare Book Week has ended, but not, I’m delighted to announce, my residency at Melbourne Athenaeum Library. I’ve been invited to extend my stay, so I’ll be in again this coming week. I know that all good things must end, but in this case, I’m happy it won’t be for a little while longer. Meanwhile, directly following are selected highlights from the fabulous week that was.

Throughout the week, work continued on Progeny, my artist book inspired by Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.





There was a great turnout to my artist talk on Wednesday evening, July 4 and I couldn’t have wished for a finer audience. Thanks to everyone who came and to inestimable Melbourne Athenaeum librarians Tom Coleman and James Baker for ensuring it all went without a hitch. 

Tom Coleman introducing my artist talk

Audience members browse my books and zines


Among the particularly steady stream of visitors on Friday, July 6 were distinguished personages Louise Jennison, Gracia Haby, Elaine Haby and Vicki Fowler, accompanied by second-time visitor Jill Kellett (not pictured), who took the photo of Vicki and I. Then, as the long, but especially memorable, day drew to a close, I was joined by Ewan and Heather Barker.

Louise Jennison, Gracia Haby and Elaine Haby

With Vicki Fowler (left). Photo credit: Jill Kellett 

Ewan and Heather Barker

Saturday, July 7, was the last official day of my term as Artist-in-Residence. It was literally a red-letter day, as the hand-lettered red text was added to Progeny, taking it another step closer to completion. The text still needs some tweaking before the final stage (aside from binding): hand-stitching selected areas of the image with matching red embroidery thread.