Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A new year and some new work





Currently I'm spending most of my time at Ballarat, working on a series of concertina books. So far seven of them are mapped out. 

The blank books were constructed en masse in the sun room, which has excellent light and where I can really spread out.

In my small studio I outlined the illustrations for each book in pencil. The first of these, A Tall Tale, is pictured directly above, preceded by the miniature painting that is its basis. All seven books have the same vertical composition. The drawings will be finished in ink and will take the form of silhouettes.

Pictured first and second from top: 
Books under construction, Ballarat, January 2013 

Third and fourth from top: 
A Tall Tale, 2012, acrylic on canvas, 9 x 7 cm (photograph by Tim Gresham)
A Tall Tale, 2013 (artist's book in progress) pencil on Khadi paper, 210 gsm, 80 x 15 cm